This is a really fun and quick craft that can help you get rid of those old half bottles of nail polish and ceramic objects that you have laying around.
Items you will need:
- Shallow plastic bowl (old takeout containers work great)
- 1-4 bottles of nail polish (use as many or as few as you want)
- Warm water
- Nail polish remover
- Painter’s tape (to mark off areas you may not want to get paint on)
- Ceramic object (cup, plate, other object. Just make sure it is ceramic)
Clean your ceramic piece with rubbing alcohol. Fill your plastic tub with warm water. Get out your nail polish and pour it slowly close to the water’s surface in a circular motion, using as many colors as you want. Dip your object in and make a rolling motion to cover the surface of your object. You need to be pretty quick while dipping your object. The warm water starts to set the nail polish quickly. Take it out and let dry. If you have areas where you did not want the nail polish you can use nail polish remover and a cotton ball to get it off. Let dry for 24 hours in well ventilated area.
- If you want to color the handle or switch colors use the toothpick to grab the nail polish out of the water. It almost makes a film. Change the water and start again.
- Do this project outside or in a garage as the smell can be overwhelming
- Nail polish remover can fix any mistakes or color that has bled.
- If you are going to be drinking out of the mug, seal just the part that is painted with a water resistant sealer. Hand wash only!
Try this on wood too!